Part of our dinner last night was mash pumpkin, potato & sweet potato. There were left overs and I wasn't going to use them for dinner tonight so oh what shall I do with them?
Then it hit me. When I was in secondary school we made some muffins that had mashed pumpkin in them. I remember them being yummy. I was sure I still had the recipe written down somewhere. Yep, I found it! Though I don't know where the recipe originated from. So this morning I used the left over mash (even though the recipe called for mashed pumpkin I used the mix of pumpkin, potato & sweet potato) and whipped up some muffins, and oh they are sooo fluffy and delicious! I also made some in mini loaf tins. I am going to freeze some of the muffins to use in my son's school lunches.
Pumpkin Choc Orange Muffins
1/2 cup caster sugar
granted rind of 1 orange
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 tbsp golden syrup
1/2-3/4 cup mashed pumpkin
1 1/2 cups SR flour, sifted
1/2 tsp bicarb soda, sifted
2 tbsp cocoa, sifted
1/4-1/2 cup orange juice
1. Cream butter, sugar and orange rind.
2. Beat in egg and golden syrup.
5. Mix in pumpkin.
6. Stir in half of the flour, cocoa & bicarb.
7. Stir in half of the orange juice.
8. Stir in the remaining half of the flour, cocoa and bicarb.
9. Stir in the remaining half of the orange juice.
10. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake for 20mins in a 180deg preheated oven.
11. Cool on a wire rack then serve.
*Makes approx 12 muffins.